Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com>
From: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/23/1995 06:23:53
>One *could* do this, but in my opinion, it'd be a significant lose.
>It complicates the partition scheme significantly, and to no good end.
>As it stands now, I can use (and am using) the exact same swap partitions
>for A/UX and NetBSD/mac, and can even mount (read-only) A/UX
>partitions from NetBSD/mac.
>The BSD-partitions-inside-a-single-DOS-partition setup was forced on the
>i386 folks because the native DOS partition scheme was too braindead to
>support what the BSD folks wanted.  Those of us whose native platforms have
>more sane partition table schemes, with functionality equal or superior to
>that of the BSD disklabel format (I believe both the Mac and Amiga fall into
>that category), see little reason for such kludges.

I agree. We should not adopt a kludge as our standard when we have a better
option available.

Actually, it would be helpful to consider being able to mount EITHER format
of HD on ANY version. IOW, the BSD in DOS style could be mounted as a
foreign file system on a Mac and the Mac HD could be mounted on a 586.