Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Dan Menchaca <Dan_Menchaca@quickmail.apple.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/20/1995 18:12:26
> There is a formatting software that'll format DOS partitions in addition to
> Mac partitions on the same disk.  I'm not sure that it'll boot DOS though,
> since Mac and DOS use different partitioning schemes.  I could be feasable to
> format a DOS extended partition that DOS  and have will recognize MacOS
> partitions.
>
> I think that going with AUX partitions would be smart.  This technology works
> and is supported by a variety of SCSI formatters and drivers.

What does this have to do with anything?  We are using the A/UX
partition labels.  We are not using A/UX information within the
partitions.  Maybe this would be a decent future expansion option,
I don't see a whole lot of use for it, myself.

I don't know how we got talking about the actual partitioning
software.  We can't override Apple's paritition maps w/o making
ourselves incompatible with the MacOS.  Not a good idea.  I also
don't like *BSD/i386's (and just about every other i386/unix)
policy of making a seperate raw parition and repartitioning that.

I don't think that most "formatters and drivers" and partitioning
software for MacOS actually make a filesystem on the A/UX partitions.
They didn't used to, and if I were Apple, I probably wouldn't trust
'em to ;-)

Am I missing the point of this particular thread?

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **