Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: Rob Hagopian <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/19/1995 19:38:14
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Which brings up a good question: the fastest way to get a Mac application
> running is to use one of the class libraries. THINK 7.0.4 has a Visual
> Architect (I think that's the name) that allows you to quickly get the
> interface of a program going, then worry just about the program-specific
> bits. The problem is that to compile these programs, you have to have that
> particular class library around. So which one would be good?
>
> I think TCL (the THINK Class Library, not tcl a la tcl/tk & X) would be
> best, just because most people would have access to it. I haven't seen
> PowerPlant (the library that comes with CodeWarior), but will have it soon.
> Everything I've seen about CodeWarior looks good, but it is not wide-spread
> as of yet. Also, I saw on the net someone ported TCL to compile under
> CodeWarior. MacApp is good too, but it is a seperate product which I doubt most
> folks will have for home.

TCL is OK, PowerPlant is getting there too, and for those of us who
can't afford Symantec's prices and bought CW Academicly it's a lot
easier... OTOH, it really isn't that hard to get a mac application working
IMO, esp if you're not trying to build a huge app, which we aren't. And
speaking of huge, I believe that Brad asked to keep these apps small, and
the easiest way to do that is to just code it w/out the Class Libs...
(unless I'm overestimating the extra code that adds... but judging by
the SIMPLE apps I've seen built by TCL...)

| Rob Hagopian.           | FINGER me! (01/18) | Moon Over Miami |   Four   |
| rhagopia@terminator.rs. |GC 1.0.1: GU d -p+(-) c++++ !l u++ e/+| only get |
|          itd.umich.edu  |       m/- s/- !n h f? g+ w+ t-- r- y?|   four   |