Subject: how to probe the screen size with grf?
To: None <macbsd-development@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 07/28/1994 17:40:50
Hi,

I just started working on a "Kanji" version of desktop (which will be
called `kdt') to display Japanese on MacBSD console.  I know it will
be obsolete when X runs, but I think it would be nice if we can
display Japanese without X (i386 people have similar lkm).  Due to the
lack of my knowledge to other languages and code sets, it will not
support anything other than English (ASCII character set) and Japanese
(JIS Kanji character set).

I can use BDF files distributed with X, and that's about it for the
fonts.  The problem is, I don't want to hard-code the screen size into
kdt.  How does a user application properly probe the screen size and
other screen properties?  Unfortunately, current version of dt does
not do that.

Thanks for your info in advance.

Ken