Subject: Re: new ci booter
To: darrell pfeifer <PFEIFER@camins.Camosun.BC.CA>
From: Michael Finch <finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/05/1993 19:54:44
> I thought I'd be the first on the block to try the
> new booter. In my case I drop into macsbug at
>   shutdownproc+20

I tried the booter as well (after reassembling my computer) and it
does indeed fail.  It seems I forgot about some code that I added
a couple of weeks ago.  Anyway, I fixed that bug and It should now
work!  CI, SI, VX, and powerbook users are invited to give it a
whirl.

> A bit further investigation showed that at the
> end of the shutdownproc it does a jsr (a0)
> to copycode. There is the usual (Think C)
> link a6,0 and then a jsr to a spot farther
> on in the code. That jsr ends up jumping to
> code that is garbage.
This was the hacked greybar code I was fiddling with, and forgot
about.  Good eyes!

> Config:
> ci with 20mb, sys 7 pro beta, file sharing on,
> most inits off, external video, in B+W before boot.
>
> Let me know if you want me to try anything else
What is "pro beta"?

As, an interesting side note, I saw Arcel at VCUC last weekend and
we talked about this project.  I mentioned that it was currently
pre-alpha, and we had a dicscussion about what the term for the
letter before "A" in the alphabet was, we decided upon "stick."
So, this is officially "stick release 1.0" software.

-Mike