Subject: Re: Greeting and question
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: m68k
Date: 02/28/1996 15:28:46
[Note that I corrected (well, I hope) the original sender's e-mail
address...  My wife happens to be a customer of the same ISP he uses]

> > And I have a question.  The question is that how can I get NetBSD
> > from?  Can I get it from CD-ROM and so on or internet?
>
> Yes.
>
> It is available on CD-ROM; various posts (generally on current-users)
> have talked about where.  I didn't save them because I have no need for
> a CD-ROM version, but I'm sure they're in the mailing list archives.

Wallnut Creek, maybe?  And I heard about the people called Wasabi.

> > Because I looked the ftp archives, there are so many bytes of binary
> > data.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is.

I think his problem is that he doesn't know which part to get, which
not to, and the size of whole distribution probably feels overwhelming
to him (note that the flat-rate local calls just started in Japan,
albeit the flat-rate is applied only to calls which are made during
11pm to 7am next morning or so.  Any other local call is charged
10yen(~10c)/3min. or something like that.  And his Internet service
provider is infamous for its slow connection; 0.2-0.4KB/s ftp over
14.4kbps PPP last time I tried).

> If you're trying to get a binary distribution, suitable for a first
> installation, this is hardly surprising.

Of course not, for those with clues... (No, no offense intended to
Mr. Tanaka)

To Mr.Tanaka: There is a newsgroup fj.os.bsd.netbsd which you can read
and write in Japanese.  I'm sure it will help you a great deal.  I am
also a Japanse and can receive and read e-mails written in Japanese
(JIS only please).  Feel free to e-mail me if you have further
questions.

BTW, I'm assuming "Tanaka" is the family name and "Tomoo" is a given
name for a male.  I apologize if the assumption is incorrect.

ken