Users of indent(1) (was: Re: Does anyone use checknr(1)?)

Am 24.05.2024 um 22:05 schrieb B Harder:

>> On May 24, 2024, at 13:01, Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found /usr/bin/checknr and tried it:
>>
>> $ checknr /usr/share/man/man1/*.1
>>
>> It spit out an enormous amount of error messages and crashed on 68 of
>> the files. Its source code hasn't essentially been modified for 18
>> years, and the code still contains several out-of-bounds memory
>> accesses, after some half-hearted attempts to fix them.
>>
>> Does anyone use this tool? Is it worth keeping?
>>
>> If it's worth keeping it, I could invest some time in making it
>> bullet-proof, but I don't want to waste time like I did for indent(1).
>
> Am I the only person who uses indent(1)?

I occasionally use it in "supervised" mode, that is, I manually check
all its changes because it still makes lots of mistakes when it comes to
distinguishing type names from other identifiers, and for indenting
function definitions.

Compared to 2019, it has gotten a lot better, but it's still below my
expectations.

Roland