unable to boot 10.0/amd64

I’m trying to upgrade an amd64 system that has been running a version of 9.3 (same as release on ftp.netbsd.org).  I untarred the 10.0 GENERIC kernel set (kern-GENERIC.tar.xz), untarred the 10.0 modules set (modules.tar.xz), and rebooted.  The kernel starts to boot with a bunch of device driver messages, etc.  Then it halts with the following message (hand transcribed here; ? character unreadable in second line):

kernel page fault trap, code 0
Stopped in pid 0.0 (system) at netbsd:uvm_page_redim+0x2e9: addq $0x1,0(%?dx)
uvm_page_redim() at netbsd netbsd:uv_page_redim+0x2e9
main() at netbsd:main+0x366
…

The following lines look to be a bunch of register values.

I’m not sure where to look next or what information would be useful, as this is something I have never encountered.  Please advise.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook