On Tue, 5 Mar 2024, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:31:22 -0800 (PST)
   From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

 | Is there a reason that checking disks (vi fsck) happens before the ccd
 | and.or cgd drivers can create their devices?  It's hard to check on ccd0
 | before it exists!

Really?

On my system both ccd and cdg are "# BEFORE: DISKS" whereas fsck is
"# REQUIRE: localswap" and swap1 (which is # PROVIDE localswap) is
"# REQUIRE: DISKS".    That is, ccd and cgd both come before DISKS
and fsck (other than fsck_root which is almost the first thing that
happens) comes after DISKS which puts both ccd and cgd ahead of fsck.

If you're attempting root on ccd or cgd then the fsck_root is going
to have problems, but neither of those is something that's supported.

To make that work you're going to need tricks (inside those systems
perhaps) like raidframe has - and the system would effectively be
starting with one root and then changing to another during the boot
process.   For cgd that's inevitable, as cgd requires the params
file for the device, and that has to come from somewhere, before the
cgd can be configured, so there has to be a filesystem from which to
read it, and there cannot be any filesystems without root.   I suspect
ccd is the same - but I just use raidframe (raid0) instead of that.

raidframe has autoconfigure so it has the ability to set itself up
before root, so a root on raidframe can be made to work.

kre

!DSPAM:65e69db831121223027042!

| Paul Goyette (.sig) | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)           | 1B11 1849 721C 56C8 F63A | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer  | 6E2E 05FD 15CE 9F2D 5102 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer  |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |