Re: modesetting vs intel in 10.0

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 at 18:48, Brian Stuart <blstuart%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Am I correct that even with all the improvements, there are still
> Intel video systems that aren't supported?  On a Dell Latitude 7420,
> dmesg shows:
>
> [     1.051227] pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0: Intel Tiger Lake (UP3
> 4Core) Host (rev. 0x01)
> [     1.051227] i915drmkms: preliminary hardware support disabled
> [     1.051227] genfb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel UHD Graphics
> (GT2, 96/80 EU) (rev. 0x01)
> [     1.051227] genfb0: framebuffer at 0x4000000000, size 1920x1080,
> depth 32, stride 7680
> [     1.051227] genfb0: shadow framebuffer enabled, size 8100 KB
> [     1.051227] wsdisplay0 at genfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100
> emulation), using wskbd0
> [     1.051227] wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> [     1.051227] drm at genfb0 not configured
>
> and X is only working with wsfb.  I've been intending to look into
> this myself, but $DAYJOB keeps getting in the way.  (I even downloaded
> about 9000 pages of Intel documentation as a start.)  On the other
> hand, if there's something I'm doing wrong and am just missing the
> boat, I'd love to know.  TIA

That would be correct, though current and -10 support is better than
-9. I have a 13th gen Raptor Lake which also attaches as genfb0,
though I would expect non 3D desktop performance to be Just Fine (I'm
using it as a server), and a AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3500U based Thinkpad T495
which I use as my primary machine which attaches a genfb0 and non 3D
desktop performance *is* Just Fine :)

Definitely don't let that discourage you from looking at adding
support - I'd probably look up the pci ids, and the pci ids for a
previous supported generation in the current NetBSD drm tree, and then
in the upstream Linux source to see what if any special handling the
newer codes have. If they don't seem to have anything special. then
just add them to the supported list and test a kernel :-p

David