Re: Building old systems

On 20/04/23 10:34, Brook Milligan wrote:
I am trying to build an old kernel with build.sh on a recent (9.99.108) amd64 system.  However, compiling nbmake fails immediately with errors like

	/usr/bin/ld: buf.o:(.bss+0x0): multiple definition of `debug_file'; arch.o:(.bss+0x0): first defined here

Unless I am doing something silly, it clearly is not possible for a current system to build old tools and kernels at arbitrary points in time.

What is the best strategy for building old kernels to, for example, bisect the code?

This problem is only going to get worse as 9.x gets older and more people use newer hosts.

It occurs to me that we could fix the nbmake source code and release it as 9.4. It won't fix things for people stuck on 9.[0-3], but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Cheers,
Lloyd