Re: clang-built NetBSD and rust

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:18:30 +0200 (CEST)
Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> a user contacted me about having a freshly installed version of
> NetBSD-current for amd64 built with clang, and a failure to run
> the provided "bootstrap kit" for rust, with the following error:
>
> /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version GCC_3.3 required by /tmp/pkgsrc/wip/rust/work/rust-bootstrap/bin/cargo not found

NetBSD from HEAD-llvm does not ship with libgcc_s.so.1, so one has to
manually provide it in order to run foreign binaries built with GCC.
Where did the user get libgcc_s.so.1 from?
I have rust-1.66.1 (not the latest) on my HEAD-llvm amd64 system.
Base is 9.99.107 (again not the latest) and libgcc_so.so.1 is from
9.99.99. So if this broke it did so fairly recently.

> So ... what should I/we do about this?  Do we need a separate rust
> bootstrap kit built with clang and built with a clang-built "target
> root"?  It looks like there's no netbsd-9 nor netbsd-10 built with
> clang, only HEAD?

Until clang ships as part of a formal release (with NetBSD release
binaries) I think it is OK to require users to manually provide
libgcc_s.so.1.