Re: IntelliJ IDEA for java development on NetBSD

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 14:36, Ron Georgia <netverbs%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I cannot get the early access edition to work. In fact to get the
> Intellij from pkgin to work I have to change the idea.sh file to use
> jdk11. Any hints on getting the EAP version to work?

Hi Ron,

What version of NetBSD are you running? I'm using NetBSD-10 with self
compiled binaries. It looks like the 2022Q4 pkgin netbsd-9 binaries
have openjdk17-1.17.0.4.8nb1, which is missing a libxrender fix needed
for the EAP version. 2023Q1 should have openjdk17-1.17.0.6.10nb2 and
_hopeful;y_ should be showing up soon. (I tend to forget that binary
packages lag behind on non security updates). I also found that on my
laptop under netbsd-9 IDEA became slower and slower over time (which I
think was more related to how drm was driving the Intel display
chipset in the T480)

I tried to run up a quick netbsd-9 openjdk17 package compatible with
2022Q4, but hit a snag (waiting for a reply on tech-pkg@ :)

David