Re: tar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale

make -e EXTRACT_CMD='gtar -zxf $${extract_file}' returned
'{extract_file}: No such file or directory'.  Perhaps I needed to
double-quote that string.

EXTRACT_CMD='gtar -zxf $${extract_file}' export EXTRACT_CMD; #I'm old
school -- this is habit.
make -e extract

worked.  Thank you.

--