Re: 10.0 BETA : Poor audio quality if 3.5mm jack is fully inserted

This could be a hardware issue and it could be a hardware issue that Linux is "fixing" for you.

I have seen this exact broken behaviour before when connecting headphones to a headset socket or vice versa. I can't remember which way round it was.

It is entirely reasonable for modern OSes and audio chipsets to be able to detect this and fix it. Hmm wikipedia says that some modern systems do detect this.

You can buy or make your own headphone to headset adapter if we can't fix the device driver, but fixing the device driver is probably easier than buying an adapter. The adapters seem a bit rare, probably because the device drivers always fix the problem these days. Or you could try swapping out your headphones/headset with a headset/headphones?

An explanation of what is (probably) going on

This appears to be what is going, but it is just FYI since it doesn't fix NetBSD.

The poor audio quality from a fully inserted jack is because the what you are hearing is the _difference_ between the left and right channels played through both speakers at once. the left and right channels are being driven normally, but the ground isn't connected, so instead of getting full power across each speaker all you get is the voltage difference of the left and right channels split over the two speakers. I think that's what's going on here.

When you pull the jack out slightly, the ground ring now gets connected fine, but the right audio channel is no longer connected. This gives you a good left channel only. I'm pretty sure this is right.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Interoperability