Re: Difference between i915drm and i915drmkms

    Date:        Sat, 7 Jan 2023 13:41:13 +0530
    From:        Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>

  | Now stripping off all the context and just seeking to know the difference
  | between these two drivers:
  |
  |     $ config -x | grep i915
  |     #i915drm*       at drm?         # Intel i915, i945 DRM driver
  |     i915drmkms*     at pci? dev ? function ?

I'm no expert (not even close) but I believe that i915drm is (was) the
old DRM code, that existed before December 2021 (and which perhaps should
have just been removed from config files, rather than commented out) and
i915drmkms is the updated version, installed during Dec 2021.

I doubt it is possible to make i915drm work on -10 or HEAD, but it is
probably what is in use on -9 (and earlier, as far back as i915 and DRM
support go).

kre