Re: 10.0 BETA : Status of Wireless N

mayuresh%acm.org@localhost (Mayuresh) writes:

>On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 07:35:56PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> Is N supported on 10.0 BETA? Is some configuration required to enable the
>> same?

>Which component decides this - firmware? driver? kernel? something else?

All of them.

>Is Wireless N generally not supported, or does it depend on the device?

Merging the FreeBSD wifi subsystem that supports 802.11n is work in
progress and is developed on a separate branch.

>Are there any other devices for which on NetBSD I can get wireless N
>support?

The Broadcom "full mac" chips (e.g. used by RaspberryPi) run most of
the Wifi protocol inside the firmware and will work with 802.11n networks.
Doesn't mean it is fast.

If you are lucky, you can find the same chip with USB (only seen as the
orignal RPI Wifi dongle) or PCIe interface (some Mini-PCIe card).