re: 10_BETA: Nice QOL improvements to the installer

nia writes:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 08:05:02AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 06:18:41AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> > > I used the second (non-BIOS) image because I guessed it might be a hybrid
> > > installer. I think that my old NUCs only support BIOS booting from USB
> > > sticks, but I could easily be wrong.
> >
> > Ok. So, it appears the -bios image has become redundant now. Or hasn't it?
> >
> > If yes, they may want to stop building it to preempt such confusion.
>
> The BIOS-only image exists because of broken firmware.

i have a system that still seems to load efiboot when configured in
CSM-enabled mode.  the only way to get it to load bootxx/boot was
to move bootx64.efi away.  i just discovered that this week.

when CSM-enabled, efiboot would then print the memory map and hang.

this system is also affected by PR#56714 -- and with bios booting
working [*], radeon accel is also (mostly) working.

anyway, what i suspect these broken systems do is still load efiboot
and then efiboot is in some environment it doesn't handle well and
then hangs... this is a guess.

thanks.

.mrg.

[*] - keyboard access in /boot is broke on my installed system but
seems to work on the USB with the bios image.  each key press ends
up generating 15-20 actual characters.