FYI: new X server in -current, among other X things

On Friday 15 Jul 2022, at 15:12, matthew green wrote:
> i've updated most of xsrc to their latest versions.
>
> there are probably a few build issues left to find
> across all ports, and perhaps some run-time ones too
> but basic testing looks fine for me.
>
> please send-pr or email here if you find problems.

Hi,

A bit late ... but I just updated and found a wskbd/xorg.conf rather
small issue but also rather painful, so I report here in case
something can be improved (including my own limited knowledge on this
topic :)

Before, I used to have a InputDevice keyboard section in my xorg.conf,
so that I could pass some xkb options (required to all the extra sun keys
working):
  Option      "XkbModel"    "sun_type6_usb"
  Option      "XkbLayout"   "us"
  Option      "XkbOptions"  "compose:menu"
  Option      "XkbRules"    "base"

After the update, I noticed this stopped working, because:
(WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.

So, I tried to disable "hotplugging" (Option "AutoAddDevices" "false")
and kept the InputDevice section with:
       Driver      "kbd"
       Option      "Device" "/dev/wskbd"
This failed because "/dev/wskbd" was said to be already open (by
whom?). Using "/dev/wskbd0" instead mostly worked, except that
switching to VT0 was leaving the keyboard in a weird state, sending
escape codes instead of normal keys and preventing to type anything
useful. (but a few times it was also kind of self-reparing and was
working ...)

So basically the issue is that manually adding a keyboard does not
work anymore? (also, I don't fully understand the difference between
/dev/wskbd and /dev/wskb0: man 4 wskbd, kbd, wscons, wsmux don't talk
about it, maybe I missed some other documentation).

I finally switched back to hotplugging, and added a InputClass section
instead of a InputDevice, with MatchDriver "kbd" and my custom xkb
options. (I failed to use a "MachUSBID" setting, which would have been
more correct, but probably wscons does not report the USB id to Xorg).

So all-in-all I'm fine with this setting, but it took me quite some
time to figure out what to do and I'm still not sure I did it the
right way :)

Best,
Anthony