Re: macppc system wedging under memory pressure

Hello,

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:41:44 +0100
Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> I've been running my build system ( an 8 core amd64 system with 16GB of
> RAM) with:
>
> vm.filemax=10
> vm.filemin=1
>
> So its not just SMALL systems that need better tuning.
>
> Before I set those I found that the system would prioritise file cache
> so much that any large process that ran for a long time would be forced
> to swap out so much that it would then take them ages to recover. In my
> case that was the jenkins process that was managing the build leading to
> lots of failed builds as the jenkins process fell apart. Setting those
> limits meant the file cache got evicted instead of the jenkins process.
>
> I also found the same settings kept things like firefox from getting
> swapped out during builds as well.

I've seen the same thing on a sparc64 with 12GB RAM - firefox and claws
would get swapped out while the buffer cache would stay at 8GB or more,
with a couple cc1plus instances fighting over the remaining RAM.

have fun
Michael