Re: macppc system wedging under memory pressure

Well,

following up on my own posting of yesterday evening.

There's good and not so good news: the good news is that my G4
Mac Mini running -current finally managed to build rust-1.62.1
from pkgsrc-current (using llvm from pkgsrc, not the internal
one).  The bad news is that I don't have a definitive explanation
of what caused my earlier problems, even though I'm pretty sure
it was VM-related.

Based at least partially on suggestions from fellow NetBSD
developers, I've made the following adjustments to this host's
setup:

Reduced kern.maxvnodes from the default of around 55000 to 10000
(that's from an earlier similar experience from the i386 port).

I had earlier added 1GB swap space as a file which I removed as
swap space using swapctl.  Swap space ties up some part of
physical memory to keep track of the swap space.  (I already had
a 2GB swap partition which is sufficient, it turns out.)

I made the following adjustments to vm settings:

vm.filemax=20  (down from 50)
vm.filemin=5   (down from 10)
vm.execmin=5   (hm, already at 5?)
vm.anonmax=50  (down from 80)
vm.anonmin=5   (down from 10)

Apparently the *min values is what made the difference, I beleive
I made the *max adjustments earlier without succeeding.  Ref.
info in the sysctl(7) man page.

Regards,

- Håvard