Re: NetBSD 9.2 installer can't detect disk of some Hetzner VPSes

Hi Robert,

On 20.07.22 13:43, Robert Elz wrote:
What kind of console interface does that setup give you?   Emulated
serial port?   Emulated graphics interface?

> One of the virtio devices (1043) is described in pcidevs as a virtio console > but it doesn't look like we have any kind of driver for that one (whatever
> that actually means).   The their setup emulates some kind of standard
> com port (serial) or vga, then it should be possible to attach to that,
> but the boot code would need to tell the kernel which of those to use.
>
> You'd probably do better asking on current-users (or perhaps tech-kern
> but just pick one of those) than netbsd-users for this kind of info.
>
> kre

at boot stage, the VPS is accessed via a web based virtual console which looks like a emulated VGA display from Qemu. Later in the dmesg there is no emulated graphics adapter found. There is a device "virtio2" which seems to identify as a console device:

```
[....] virtio2 at pci3 dev 0 function 0
[....] virtio2: console device (rev. 0x01)
[....] virtio2: autoconfiguration error: no matching child driver; not configured
```

And there is also an emulated com0 interface present, which seems to be useless as I cannot access it from outside.

As a test I switched off the virtio module via userconf and booted it. Here the boot comes at least up to the prompt for the root filesystem device (of course, since no virtio exists any more, the block devices are also no longer recognized).

I can't really explain why the boot loader and the kernel messages can write to the virtual console, but later in the run no corresponding graphics adapter is found...

Kind regards
Matthias