Re: CVS commit: src

    Date:        Wed, 25 May 2022 10:13:19 -0400
    From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>

  | if you set the
  | wayback machine to a VAX with 1MB of RAM and a 100 MB disk, or 8MB and
  | 250 MB.  I'm fuzzy on the exact numbers, but I'm sure kernel RAM usage
  | was a much bigger deal than disk.

A 780 would usually have been 4MB RAM, though 1 was possible.
Sometimes 8.  A couple of systems went beyond what was expected
and had 12.   ENORMOUS.  A 750 might have had only 1 or 2.
A 730 I don't recall, but those things ran slower than a snail
through molasses, almost unusable.

Disk varied, 60MB was common early (usually 2 of them), some 300MB
were around.  Then 335MB eagles appeared (lots cheaper than the earlier
300MB revovables ... until then, essentially everything was removable
packs).   Having 2 eagles was luxury indeed!

As for ram vs disk space ... running a system with hundreds of
user accounts, all sharing 30 or 60MB, made disk conservation
and management critical - hence quotas.   Undergrad users might
have only been allowed 50KB of long term storage...

kre

ps: when doing comparisons, remember that those were the days
when a MB was a MB, not just a wimpy million bytes!