Re: sysinst extended partitioning won't set/do the "newfs" flag!

At Mon, 08 Jun 2020 16:42:42 -0700, "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
Subject: sysinst extended partitioning won't set/do the "newfs" flag!

> I'm having trouble getting the "new" sysinst, when using extended
> partitioning, to set the "newfs" flag (and the "-o log" flag).
>
> I can set it, but it never sticks and never happens, which means nothing
> gets mounted.

And also the "mount" flag doesn't even seem to have any effect either
(e.g. even if all the partitions and filesystems are ready made).

I've updated recently to the latest sysinst sources from -current with
no improvement.

I now see from the source that the mysterious "install" flag should only
be set on one partition (though I'm still not quite sure exactly what
it's supposed to mean, except that this is to be the root filesystem,
though why it can't figure that out from the mount point being "/" is
not clear).  Having that flag set on only one partition doesn't help
though.  (My original gues was that partitions tagged with the "install"
flag were to be used during the install, i.e. mounted under /targetroot,
and any without it set would only be written to /etc/fstab for use once
the target system boots live.)

In any case my basic expectations for the requirements of the most basic
functionality of the "extended partitioning" feature is that I should be
able to use it to install on a system with a "bunch" of disks, making
one or more filesystems (or, e.g., swap partitions) on each disk, and
having them be newfs'ed (or not) and mounted (or not) for the target
system (all before extracting sets, i.e. mounted under /targetroot), and
have the resulting configuration all be written to the new target's
/etc/fstab.

So far I've been unable to even get close to making this work.  (I can
get it to create partitions, but then it won't do anything with them.)

Trying to read the source to figure out what is and isn't working, or
how it maybe should work, hasn't helped me any yet either.  A design
guide, or theory-of-operation doc, etc. might help.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>