Re: linux clone issue

On 10/4/2021 10:33 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
Hello
I'm trying to run a binary-only linux program under NetBSD 9.2.
 From what I found, the binary was built on Ubuntu 16.04
[...]

As you can see above (ktrace -si output), the read on fd 3 in 26751 returns
with an error as soon as the child does its execve(), just as if CLOSEEXEC
was set in the child. But the dup2(4,1) should keep the write side open
without CLOSEEXEC. The program does a similar sequence just before
(also forking a shell to execute some command) and it works.
Later when sh tries to write to stdout it gets a SIGPIPE.

I couldn't reproduce this with a simple program.
But it seems that I can't reproduce this clone call. It seems that we are
called with flags 0x1200011, which would translate to
CLONE_CHILD_SETTID | CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID | SIGCHLD,
and a NULL stack pointer.
But when run on linux, this clone syscall straces to
CLONE_VM|CLONE_VFORK|SIGCHLD

I think that combination of flags is actually a "fork()" call, which glibc implements using clone.  I found that through https://eli.thegreenplace.net/2018/launching-linux-threads-and-processes-with-clone/, which mentions that glibc has a ARCH_FORK macro, though it seems that the more recent code uses an arch_fork inline function: https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/arch-fork.h;h=b846da08f98839aef336868de24850626428509c;hb=HEAD

I tried writing a program using fork(), vfork() or clone() but
none of them would use the clone() syscall as do my linux binary.
Any idea what could cause clone() to be used this way ?

Is your binary statically linked?  Maybe it has a different glibc implementation from the .so that's on your system.

Eric