Re: build.sh live-image

On Mon 31 May 2021 at 13:22:50 +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> Would the change below be ok? I'll be looking at some more things to
> improve for OpenStack but this is a good start.

I was expecting that the metadata-querying script at
src/distrib/utils/embedded/files/ec2_init could easily have some
attributes added to it. But going by
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/metadata.html there aren't
really that many that make sense to add.

There is another helper script, openstack_init.py from
pkgsrc/sysutils/openstack_init/files/openstack_init.py. But it assumes
the config-drive option (which is not default) instead of fetching the
data from http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/meta_data.json .
That script requires Python (used to parse the JSON format) which I find
a bit heavyweight.
But the "random_seed" from his data would be nice to get, if it were
easier to parse. Maybe I could just feed the whole json data string to
rndctl, it would include the "random_seed" value if it's in there :)

I was looking if there is something like "cloudinit" available in
pkgsrc. That has some ways to specify creation of users, installation of
packages, that sort of thing. But it doesn't seem to be there.

-Olaf.
--
___ Q: "What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?"  -- Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert
\X/ A: "Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski."         -- rhialto at falu dot nl