Re: RealTek wifi on -current amd64 on lenovo laptop

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 09:12:46AM +0000, nia wrote:
> There's no driver for Realtek 802.11ac PCIe hardware.
> You could try porting a driver from another OS.

Would like to give it a try, but I have never worked on device drivers in
any OS. Would be useful to build the skill. Any good pointers to get
started? There is a ddwg page/pdf[1]. But its date looks 2003. Is there
anything else - more of tutorial than a reference to begin with?

There are at least 3 laptop devices with me where I would prefer to use
NetBSD, but can't due to one or more of these problems: 1. wifi (can work
around using a dongle) 2.  touchpad issues (external mouse is an option
but not suitable for every usage pattern) 3. hdmi not working (show
stopper in one usage) 4. envstat not working (may not sound critical, but
I have an audible alert when battery falls to a threshold, which I'd like
to work)

All of these issues are reported on the mailing list. If I could solve
even some of these myself I'll be glad.

[1] https://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/ddwg.html

--
Mayuresh