Re: building netbsd-9 2 'sync' processes stuck in 'tstile'

At Fri, 7 May 2021 17:39:47 -0500 (CDT), "John D. Baker" <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: building netbsd-9 2 'sync' processes stuck in 'tstile'

> So far, the now 6 'sync' processes have been stuck in "tstile" for 4
> days.  Other than being unable to build/link any kernels, the system is
> fine and its primary functions as file server (NFS, SaMBa, AppleTalk),
> backup DNS and NTP server are unaffected as are its clients (i.e., every
> other machine on my LAN).  CVS updates to the various trees complete
> without problems.
>
> Of course anything that runs 'sync' will get stuck.
>
> This is the first time I've had this kind of problem on this system
> since I placed it in service in 2010.

This really smells more like a kernel deadlock.

I wonder if you could use crash(8) (or ddb(4)) to get kernel stack
traces of the stuck processes.  (E.g. see the EXAMPLES section in
crash(8).)

That might help narrow down which locks are causing the problems...

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>