Re: running xen on current

At Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:02:54 +0200, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: running xen on current

> AFAIK EFI is not yet supported by Xen (maybe this is supported by 4.15,
> I've not had a chance to try yet). I have it running on fairly recent
> Dell servers (in BIOS mode)

My Dell servers, even the newer PE-R510, are much older I think  :-)

They run -current (2021-03-10) quite well (except for PR# 54969 -- I
have to remember to unmount my larger filesystems manually before any
reboot unless I want to risk loss and/or wait a long time for fscks -- I
haven't turned on '-o log' for them yet as I wanted to measure its
performance impact).

My XEN3_DOM0 kernel is somewhat customized, but not in any way that
should affect the hardware support or Xen -- of interest might be iscsi
support and and VND_COMPRESSION, but I haven't tried testing either yet.

I did read about the unified EFI image support in Xen 4.15 and I was
thinking of trying it on my old MacBookPro -- but I would also want X11
to work on it too, and even FreeBSD's Xserver wasn't working on it last
summer, so I went back to MacOS in order to be able to use it for web
and such as well as remote access.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>