Re: one remaining mystery about the FreeBSD domU failure on NetBSD XEN3_DOM0

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021, Greg A. Woods wrote:

NetBSD can actually make some sense of this FreeBSD filesystem though:

# fsck -n /dev/mapper/rscratch-fbsd--test.0
** /dev/mapper/rscratch-fbsd--test.0 (NO WRITE)
Invalid quota magic number

CONTINUE? yes

** File system is already clean
** Last Mounted on /mnt
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
SALVAGE? no

BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
SALVAGE? no

** Phase 6 - Check Quotas

CLEAR SUPERBLOCK QUOTA FLAG? no

2 files, 2 used, 7612693 free (21 frags, 951584 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)

***** UNRESOLVED INCONSISTENCIES REMAIN *****

I'm not sure if those problems are to be expected with a FreeBSD-created
filesystem or not.  Probably the "Invalid quota magic number" is normal,
but I'm not sure about the "BLK(s) MISSING IN BIT MAPS".  Have FreeBSD
and NetBSD FFS diverged this much?  I won't try to mount it, especially
not from the dom0.

I've run into this before. This is a NetBSD vs. FreeBSD UFS issue. Create
a UFS v1 FS on FreeBSD if you want to write it on NetBSD:

	newfs -O1 /dev/...

Otherwise, you get that "Invalid quota magic number" error because newfs
creates a UFSv2 FS on FreeBSD.

-RVP