Re: regarding the changes to kernel entropy gathering

At Mon, 05 Apr 2021 00:07:49 +0200 (CEST), Havard Eidnes <he%uninett.no@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: regarding the changes to kernel entropy gathering

> Indeed, that's also compatible with what I wrote.  The samples
> from whatever sources you have are still being mixed into the
> pool, but they are not being counted as contributing to the
> entropy estimate, because the quality of the samples is at best
> unknown.

Perhaps we're talking past each other?

Until I made the fix no amount of time or activity or of me telling the
system to make use of the driver inputs was unblocking getrandom(2) or
/dev/random, so it doesn't really matter if anything was being "mixed
into the pool" so to speak as the pool was empty.

> A possible workaround is, once you have some uptime and some bits
> mixed into the pool, you can do:

I don't need a work-around -- I found a fix.  I corrected some code that
was purposefully ignoring my orders for how it should behave.

> I am still of the fairly firm beleif that the mistrust in the
> hardware vendors' ability to make a reasonable and robust
> implementation is without foundation.

Well there are still millions of systems out there without the fancy
newer hardware RNGs available to make them more secure than Fort Knox.
At least a small handful of them run NetBSD for me, and want them to
work for my needs and I was, and am, quite happy with using entropy that
can be collected from various devices that my systems (virtual and real)
actually have.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>