Re: How to determine if graphics is supported by radeondrm?

as previously mentioned, the "radeon" DRM/KMS driver supports
only older AMD GPUs - mostly everything of the TeraScale family.

we do not yet have a working port of the "amdgpu" driver for
newer stuff in 9.x or -current.

until last year, I was happily using a Radeon HD 6570.
this is a GPU introduced in 2011 with TeraScale 2 and DisplayPort,
available in low-profile forms. I had trouble finding open source
software that would not run at 1080p.

several NetBSD developers like the Radeon HD 5450 because it is
fanless.

> Am I better off looking at iNtel stuff?

if you want a newer integrated GPU, yes, in 9.x we support everything up
to (including) Kaby Lake, which is hardware that debuted in 2016 and
was discontinued for desktop processors in 2020.

if you want a better CPU and are happy with an older external GPU,
i would not advise getting Intel stuff.

newer x86 hardware supports a generic unaccelerated full resolutoin
dumb UEFI framebuffer. llvmpipe (the software OpenGL driver) will be
chosen when this is in use.  llvmpipe is very good on CPUs with lots
of cores and threads, it is highly paralell.

hope this helps,
nia