Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 11:07, Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On 02/12/2020 23:41, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 03:07:55PM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> >> This is just getting too complicated.  Too many manual steps, and too
> >> many changes to too many long-established procedures.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm sorry that you spent too much time on this.
> >
> > Actually, the easiest way is to just:
> >
> > cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> > make USE_CWRAPPERS=no install
> > install -c /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_* /usr/sbin
> >
> Err. This works great until the next system update. At which point the
> system pkg_* binaries will be re-instated and break everything. Unless
> you are going to ensure that /usr/sbin/pkg_* are going to be updated not
> just in current but also in the 9, 8 and 7 release branches which are
> all still supported.
>
> Any solution that overwrites core binaries with a binary from pkgsrc
> won't survive an OS upgrade.
>
> As others have said this is starting to look like the consequences of
> the change have not been thought through.

Plan for an immediate workaround, and a later fix. Possibly:

- Immediately: Update pkg_install in pkgsrc for NetBSD: if /var/db/pkg
is present and $PREFIX/pkgdb is not, use /var/db/pkg with a warning.
If both are present, also show a warning and pick on (probably
$PREFIX/pkgdb)
- Next: Coordinate pkg_install pullups into -7 -8 & -9, possibly of
the workaround version first
- Eventually: Drop the workaround, though possibly keep "if both are
present show error and stop" logic

May need to tweak details, but something of this form

David