cvs update aborted by broken pipe on server

What causes this problem that sometimes occurs when I (attempt to) update src tree by "cvs up -dP -A"?

Ending lines of screen output may be

cvs update: Updating external/gpl3/gdb.old/dist/gdb
P external/gpl3/gdb.old/dist/gdb/.dir-locals.el
U external/gpl3/gdb.old/dist/gdb/CONTRIBUTE
U external/gpl3/gdb.old/dist/gdb/ChangeLog
U external/gpl3/gdb.old/dist/gdb/ChangeLog-2017
Write failed: Broken pipe
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Sometimes or often, I may complete the update by repeating "cvs up -dP -A" command one or more times.

Will this problem be relieved when NetBSD repository switches to mercurial, and when is the switch to mercurial expected (time estimate)?

Should I have posted this question to current-users (as I did) or to netbsd-users?

Tom