re: HEAD tools build broken on amd64

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, matthew green wrote:

/build/netbsd-compat/src_ro/tools/binutils/../../external/gpl3/binutils/dist/bfd/netbsd.h:54:10: fatal error: bfd.h: No such file or directory
  #include "bfd.h"
           ^~~~~~~

do you have a bfd.h lying around somewhere it shouldn't?  check
your source tree for extra files?  eg 'cvs up -dPA -I\! -ICVS'.
sometimes make can find something gcc won't, and this happens.

Hmmm.  "Extra files" would mean "file that _is_ there but _should_not_
be there", while the actual error message would seem to indicate that
the "file bfd.h _is_not_ there but _should_ be there".

In either case I ran the sugggested ``cvs up'' command (with the -q
option, to avoid the plethora of "Updating <dirname>" messages) and
nothing out of the ordinary shows up.

I probably ought to mention a couple more items:

* This happens in two separate sources trees, and
* it happens with a completely empty TOOLDIR (and OBJDIR and DESTDIR)

And one more item which likely will help find the real culprit:

Running the exact same build.sh with -j12 succeeds!  So it would seem
that something somewhere (TM) is creating the required bfd.h file, in
the tools-object directory perhaps?

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |