Re: VIA Padlock on AMD64

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:34 AM Taylor R Campbell <riastradh%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Is there any documentation for the graphics hardware?  Is hardware
> available on the market in the US?  (Can you send me any?)

Seems like required graphics datasheets are available here:
https://www.x.org/docs/via/ and chipset manuals can be found here
http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action (by choosing "OS
independant" and specific chipset options). Guess Linux drivers can
provide some additional info. Regarding hardware, it is slowly
becoming scarce, there are few options available in ebay and other
online stores but many of them are overpriced. Zotac ZBOXNANO-VD01-U
is quite a good option for VX900 I guess. VX800/VX855 are harder to
find. I am based in Europe myself, so sending can be a little bit
tricky, but I can definitely send a VX900 based VIA EPIA-M900 board,
since it is not very actively used. The VX800 based one is my current
NAS server though.

> Cool!  Is it reproducible?  You can trigger reading from the RNG with:
>
> sysctl kern.entropy.gather=1
>
> I don't think I've changed anything in the past month or so that would
> affect it -- more likely, this is a stochastic (and perhaps transient)
> failure of the RNG hardware.  I also see a likely bug in the VIA
> cpu_rng code judging by the Padlock documentation -- should be easy to
> fix, once the air here cools down enough to boot up my VIA laptop
> without setting fire to the table.

I will test later this week, including i386. It may not be necessarily
very recent changes, sometimes I fail to notice changes in dmesg, and
also didn't update current system for a while.