Re: blacklist -> blocklist in current

Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:35:46 +0200, Kamil Rytarowski <kamil%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: blacklist -> blocklist in current
> >
> > Whitelist/blacklist is a regular term in computing. I have never seen
> > 'blocklisting' before.
>
> Popularity != fairness; and so on....

American English != International English as used by computer scientists

> This article from 2018 might help point out the inherent issues with the
> choice of certain terms:
>
> 	https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6148600/

This is a commentary on one particular trend in a niche field
(namely, literature surrounding predatory publishing). I don't
see how it's related to general use of the terms whitelist and
blacklist.

> On the other hand there are deliberate biases in choice of certain terms
> since they are indeed intended to indicate positive and negative
> opposites, however the more "neutral" one can be in choosing such terms,
> then the longer those terms might hope to hold out as inoffensive to as
> many people as possible.

What does "white" indicate in the White House?

https://time.com/4423691/michelle-obama-dnc-speech-history/

--
Alex