Re: odd missing symbols like rumpns_lockdebug_* in an i386 build

At Fri, 29 May 2020 04:35:43 +0700, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: odd missing symbols like rumpns_lockdebug_* in an i386 build

> Compare mk.conf (or some other place in your build setup) on the system
> that built OK, and the one that didn't - I'm guessing that the latter has
> LOCKDEBUG set.

That'd be it!  Thanks!

>   | I'm guessing they are formed either with merging operator (##) in a
>   | macro somewhere, but where, and how do I find it without carefully
>   | reading everything related?
>
> Rump does a lot of that - it includes kernel source files, and fiddles
> with the names.
>
> Unless you're desperate for a masochist experience, I'd stay way the hell
> away from it - just work out what you need to fiddle to make things build.

indeed!

> At another guess, only define LOCKDEBUG if _KERNEL is defined (don't let
> it be set in rump, which while using kernel sources, isn't kernel).

Ah, that'll be the problem -- I was defining it globally, and then I was
confused when symbols with the word "lockdebug" appeared in a user-land
library I was somewhat confused as I did indeed think LOCKDEBUG was
supposed to be a kernel-only option (thus my mistaken assumption that
defining it globally would be OK).

I don't remember what the downtime was on that i386 before I restarted
it recently, but it would have been several years -- before rump no
doubt.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>