radeon framebuffer console all dark

Hi,

my HP laptop with Turion CPU ad Radeon video is resisting efforts of getting BSD-ized! Unacceptable! First issue is that the auixp driver hangs the kernel boot - working on that with Christos and Martin, but no progress. Disabled that driver, next issue: once the framebuffer of radeon kicks in I get an all dark screen Only a bright square cursor shows, moving as the kernel messages scroll up to the login.

Better checking (but I can't show it in a screenshot) I notice it is more like super-dark-grey on black: the text is unreadable, but it is there. Blindly typing login and starting X11 gets a working and correctly display X, so it is the console.

Any suggestions? It is not a regression bug from 9.0: it is already bugged. I am just testing current kernel and noticed the issue continues.

Any ideas?

Riccardo