Weirdness on (pinebook?) X in -current

On my pinebook, I have my usual X setting

   Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

in a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-keyboard.conf

This indeed in most contexts works as expected. Xev for instance nicely
shows the key left of the A as being control.

But it does not work to invoke the xterm menus, for some strange
reason. Those you get by pressing a mouse button while Control is
pressed and while the mouse is in an xterm. It doesn't work for the
changed control key, but it does work with the right-hand control key.

Is this something peculiar to the pinebook (aarch64) keyboard somehow,
or is it more generic with all X in -current? It is a weird bug...

Similarly, the Emulate3Buttons option doesn't seem to work on the mouse.
It is really needed since the pinebook touchpad doesn't have a middle
button and it is required for pasting.

    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "On

The setting is recognized and reported in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Same question: pinebook specific, or generic X issue?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond