Re: st(4) and mt eom

On 03/21/19 07:00, John Nemeth wrote:

On Mar 21,  6:48am, Frank Kardel wrote:
}
} As I wrote, extending MTIO ioctls to support more mt commands is not a
} real issue (e. g. add access to the LOCATE command). We just need to
} decide which features are useful to support and find the time to
} implement them.

      Yes, those would be enhancements, not bug fixes.  Also, what
software would use these enhancements besides mt(1).  Some of the
stuff, like informational items and control items, look to be useful
in their own right, but other stuff, like locate, look to be
redundant.
Yes, aggreed.
} For Bacula it wouldn't help right now, thus the EOM code needs fixing.

      For this, it is debatable if it is an enhancement or a bug
fix.  However, it is needed by a significant application, which
should raise its priority.

} There are also some other things that are useful to add to the SCSI
} subsystem like acquiring timeout information from the device to avoid
} early device resets while the drive is still fighting with its servo
} errors (just happened to me with a bad LTO7 drive). I have that update
} currently sitting in my tree.

      Getting timeout information from the device would be useful.
I had a problem with an earlier tape changer.  If I issued a tape
move command without first rewinding the tape, the operation would
often timeout.  This would cause a SCSI bus reset to be issued
while the tape was rewinding.  Then it would try to probe the
changer while it was still resetting.  This drove the changer crazy.
At first, I tried to remember to rewind the tape before issuing a
move command.  Eventually I found the right spot in our code and
changed the timeout.
I tripped over the same thing long time ago as some of our timeout constants are too low. E. g. our LTO7 drive specifies 60 seconds for TUR, but the coded timeout for TUR is 15 seconds. Thus getting the timeout values from the device is useful in case they are longer than our timeouts. Unfortunately the changer device in our FlexStorII library does not provide timeout information. Would be nice if it did. The drives provide the information for their operations.

But fetching the timeout is a plus anyway e. g. WRITE on our LTO7 drive can take up to 1560
seconds.