Re: Local {amd,sparc}64 builds revert to *.tgz sets?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 15:55, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:52:29PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > Why would I as a user expect USE_PIGZGZIP to break USE_XZ_SETS, or conversely
> > USE_XZ_SETS to silently ignore USE_PIGZGZIP. That reeks of hidden magic.
>
> because that document says so a few lines further down ;-)
>
> USE_XZ_SETS     If "no", use the host "gzip" program to compress sets.
>                 Otherwise use xz to compress things.
>                 Default: "yes" for architectures with "enough" memory to
>                 decompress, "no" for older ones.
>                 This is currently incompatible with USE_PIGZGZIP, setting
>                 USE_PIGZGZIP=yes sets USE_XZ_SETS=no by default for all
>                 architectures.

Ahh, foo - you have me there - I updated my current tree last week :)

I still think explicitly failing for an unresolvable combination is
better, but avoiding undocumented behaviour is the essential part.

(I would say it should also be documented on USE_PIGZGZIP - as a user
should not need to know to go hunting for the effects on other options
when adjusting USE_PIGZGZIP :-p)

Thanks

David