Re: usbdevices.config

On Sat 18 Aug 2018 at 11:51:20 -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost (Patrick Welche) writes:
>
> >With the introduction of usbdevices.config, the old procedure of "copy
> >GENERIC to NEWCOMPUTER and comment out what isn't needed" doesn't really
> >work any more. What's the thinking on The New Way(tm)?
>
> It stopped working for some platforms a long time ago and always
> had the problem that you needed to merge changes whenever GENERIC
> was augmented.
>
> I am using a different scheme, where the custom config file includes
> GENERIC but then overrides things as necessary. E.g.:

> include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"
> ident   "MYCOMPUTER"
>
> no options COMPAT_NOMID
> no options COMPAT_09
...etc... more "no" options..

I've tried to do that, when going from 7 to 8 and bringing along my "no
config" config file.

When creating it for NetBSD 7, I already noticed that it didn't really
save me any time. Changing

adv*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # AdvanSys 1200[A,B], 9xx[U,UA]
SCSI

no adv*    at pci? # dev ? function ?        # AdvanSys 1200[A,B], 9xx[U,UA]
SCSI

is much more time-consuming than simply removing the line. Just adding
"no" at the start of the line is a syntax error.
But, I persevered in the hope that it would save me time next time
around.

But it didn't. My config file for 7 didn't work for 8; something had
been changed in the GENERIC for 8 and the combination didn't configure
any more. I also realised that there would be some new hardware
supported in GENERIC that I would not have excluded. So I needed to go
through the whole GENERIC file again to double check it against my "no
config" file. I still haven't finished doing that.

There is no option for config to show the "effective" configuration at
the end, so it is hard, if not impossible, to check that I have excluded
everything I wanted to exclude. There is also no syntax for, say, "I
only want re* as ethernet adapter, and drop all others".

There is also no script (any more) to take dmesg.boot and generate a
config file from it.

I think I'll go back to just starting with GENERIC and deleting lines.
It's quicker and much shorter :-(

A grep '^[a-z]'|wc -l (to count non-comment, non-empty lines) on my
6.1.5 config file (an edited GENERIC) is 232 lines; for my 7.0.1 "no
config' file, it is 302 lines.

The "no" seemed a good idea. But it didn't bring me what I had hoped
from it.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.