Re: LVM tutorial and snapshots

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 12:43:50PM -0400, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> On 2018-04-30 11:14 AM, Michael van Elst wrote:
> >> "Write snapshot driver -only skeleton was written yet."
> >
> > That's the problem. While a few bugs have been fixed, edges have
> > been smoothed and userland tools have been updated, the mirror target
> > (base for mirrors, snapshots and moving of LVs) is still missing.
>
> So is it not ready for a production system then?  Is it solid except for
> those items?

It's mostly solid, excepting the unimplemented 'mirror' target.

There are some other pitfalls though.  For instance, renaming active or
open LVs can result in a situation where you'll end up ... I forget the
exact mode of failure... somewhere between "reboot soon" and "next wrong
move and I panic(9)".  That said, I've used it for years in
production-ish use at home.

	Jonathan Kollasch