Re: Running out of buffers?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 08:52:35AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> Since NetBSD-5, I've modified the kernel to announce IPv6 address state
> changes, introduced IPv4 address state changes which are also announced AND
> added a layer of compat to the more generic RTM messages so that interface
> address changes can report back PID and flags. In other words, while a 2k
> buffer might have been fine for NetBSD-4 (and we'll never really know
> because overflow errors were silently dropped) it might not be fine for a
> router with many addresses that all become active with the internet decides
> to work. This is an important part because of all the NetBSD machines I
> have, the routing socket only overflows on my ERLITE router. The other
> physical servers, laptops and VMs I have do not.

The very odd situation in which I saw those buffer overflows, is simply
on a home machine, so flaky home broadband, running a pkg_rolling-replace.
The machine has 32G of memory, but from your message that is irrelevant.
The urtwmn0 was struggling (that's new BTW) and I kept having to
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant restart. While texlive was being downloaded,
I hit ctrl-C, and then saw the reams of buffer messages. In terms of
routing, there is just 1 default route. Maybe all the wpa_supplicant
restarts and dhcpcd kicking in helped? (Doesn't really fit the picture...)

Cheers,

Patrick