Re: running out of file descriptors

fair%netbsd.org@localhost (Erik Fair) writes:

>We (NetBSD) still have a historical construct in config(5) that a bunch of system-wide limits like MAXFILES are calculated from a presumed average or median amount of those resources per user, expressed as multiples of â??maxusers [n]â?? in config(5).

MAXFILES is fortunately no hard limit anymore, just the default that
you can override with sysctl.

The various platform defaults are also arbitrary.

maxusers 64 = 3404 descriptors
amd64, emips, i386, pmax, riscv, sparc64

maxusers 32 = 1772 descriptors
acorn32, arc, bebox, cats, cesfic, cobalt, epoc32, evbarm, hpcsh, hppa,
ia64, iyonix, macppc, netwinder, ofppc, prep, rs6000, sandpoint, sbmips,
shark, sparc, usermode, zaurus

maxusers 16 = 956 descriptors
atari, dreamcast, ews4800mips, hpcmips, landisk, mac68k, mipsco, mmeye,
newsmips, next68k

maxusers 8 = 548 descriptors
amiga, amigappc, hp300, ibmnws, luna68k, mvmeppc, news68k, vax, x68k

maxusers 4 = 344 descriptors
mvme68k, sun2, sun3

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost