Re: Missing file after postisnstall?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 05:40:22 +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:

> I recently updated from 8.99.7 to 8.99.12 and noticed that my daily security
> job reported a missing file:
>
> 	Checking special files and directories.
> 	./etc/rc.d/dhcpd6 missing
>
> Shouldn't this have been found and fixed by postinstall?

Why it should be "fixed" if it ain't broken?  :) Your system still
happily boots without DHCP6 server, isn't it?  If you want to update
your configuration files to the new etc.tgz you run etcupdate.

postinstall only does minimal configuration tweaks that are necessary
to keep the system working with the new userland, or at least that was
its original design goal as I remember it.

-uwe