Re: Intel CPU design flaw

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
Any comments in this part of the wood about https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/ ?

I have one. In my world, performance > security. I don't fully understand the internals of the issue. It sounds like some kind of MMU hardware flaw that can't be patched with microcode. The chosen fix appears to be some kind of more software-slanted memory protection.

Nonetheless, as a user, can I get this as an *option* instead of forced down my throat? I didn't pay for my CPUs to turn off a third of it's performance. Ie..

"TAKE_A_BIG_PERFORMANCE_HIT_BECAUSE_SECURITY=true"

That's my only real comment other than "this really sucks for all of us and I hope Intel's stock tanks accordingly." I just spent the last year learning assembler. I'm glad it was 68k not x86.

-Swift