Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On 11/19/17 20:48, Rhialto wrote:
>> I still think that we should remove offensive quotes, and if people
>> cannot agree on it, all of fortune.
>
> It isn't even so much that they are "offensive" as such. It is just that
> out there in the Real World, you Simply Do Not Quote Adolf Hitler, at
> least not without embedding it in proper historical context and making
> absolutely clear that we're talking about a really horrible person, etc
> etc. Those are all things way outside the scope of fortune(1), so those
> quotes have no place there.

   I have never encountered an adult to whom I had to explain that
Hitler was a horrible person.  In fact, his name is kind of
semi-uniquely tied to the attribute of being a horrible person.

   And if I were to encounter such a person, I think there's something
wrong with them which removing Hitler quotes from the NetBSD fortune
database will not fix.

> Why this is so difficult to understand for intelligent persons, I don't
> know.

   I think you may better understand it if you consider that "Hitler was
bad" is always the default context, regardless of whatever the isolated
quote from him is.

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson