How to get started with pkgsrc, or is it sh bug?

I can't seem to get started building anything with pkgsrc because nothing will build, can't get started.

System is NetBSD-current amd64 (8.99.1), June 20, 2017, which may have a bearing because of a bug in /bin/sh and recent changes in SRCDIR/bin/sh.

On a pristine system, there is no /usr/pkg/sbin/... , yet sh complains about failing to find /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin and /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info even though such-named files exist in /usr/sbin which is in the PATH.

Is this a bug with the new (?) cwrappers stuff, or is it a bug in /bin/sh that I would hope to fix by updating the base system from source?

A sample of what happened is:

sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info: not found
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
===> Trying to handle out-dated pkg_install...
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
===> Cleaning for pkg_install-20170419
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
===> Installing dependencies for pkg_install-20170419
The supported build options for pkg_install are:

	inet6 openssl

The currently selected options are:

	inet6 openssl

You can select which build options to use by setting PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS
or the following variable.  Its current value is shown:

	PKG_OPTIONS.libfetch (not defined)

The following variables will affect the build process of this package,
pkg_install-20170419.  Their current value is shown below:

        * SSLBASE = /usr
        * SSLCERTS = /etc/openssl/certs
        * SSLDIR = /etc/openssl
        * SSLKEYS = /etc/openssl/private

You may want to abort the process now with CTRL-C and change their value
before continuing.  Be sure to run `/usr/bin/make clean' after
the changes.
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info: not found
=> Build dependency cwrappers>=20150314: NOT found
=> Verifying package-install for ../../pkgtools/cwrappers
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info: not found
===> Trying to handle out-dated pkg_install...
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
===> Cleaning for pkg_install-20170419
sh: /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin: not found
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: Circular dependency detected
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /pkgsrc-synth/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /pkgsrc-synth/pkgtools/cwrappers
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /pkgsrc-synth/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /pkgsrc-synth/pkgtools/cwrappers

This happens just the same whether from pkgsrc-synth or regular pkgsrc, or if I try to start by building pkgtools/pkg.

If this is due to /bin/sh bug, other things can also be adversely affected, indicating the need to rebuild the system.

So am I missing something in pkgsrc, or is it something with sh?

Further down the line, I think pkgtools/synth might not build on NetBSD because a dependency, lang/gcc6-aux, is broken on NetBSD (stated in the Makefile).

Tom